How Respondus LockDown Browser Works
- Assessments are displayed full-screen and cannot be minimized
- Browser menu and toolbar options are removed, except for Back, Forward, Refresh and Stop
- Prevents access to other applications including messaging, screen-sharing, virtual machines, and remote desktops
- Printing and screen capture functions are disabled
- Copying and pasting anything to or from an assessment is prevented
- Right-click menu options, function keys, keyboard shortcuts and task switching are disabled
- An assessment cannot be exited until the student submits it for grading
- Assessments that are set up for use with LockDown Browser cannot be accessed with other browsers
- Respondus LockDown Browser is often pairs with Respondus Monitor to automatically record and analyze a webcam recording
- Testing Services prefers the Lockdown Browser settings be turned off on computer-based tests proctored in their testing centers as it is not compatible with their LanSchool software
- If you are looking to live proctor a test, please consider enabling the 'live instructor proctoring' option when setting up quizzes in Canvas
Effective Summer 2023, students must now download the most recent version of LockDown Browser from myapps. In order to do this, a student must take the following steps:
Uninstall any previous version of LockDown Browser on their computer if it is an older version. When in doubt, we recommend that students uninstall the software because Respondus frequently makes behind-the-scenes updates that can impact performance.
Once uninstalled, students can then download and reinstall the most recent version from myapps.
For any support regarding downloading and utilizing Lockdown Browser, faculty can review the content on this page and contact the Office of Faculty Development Engagement, and students can review the content on the library’s LockDown Browser page or contact the Technical Assistance Center.
In some instances, the LockDown Browser is bundled with McGraw-Hill, Pearson, or other third party products. In these cases, students may need to download and install a specialized version. Our office recommends that faculty work with publisher support to ensure any publisher-created assessments using LockDown Browser will function correctly.
Please review the following guides and resources before using the LockDown Browser.
- Instructor Quick Start Guide (Canvas)
- Workshop Recording: LockDown Browser and Respondus Monitor 🎥
- LockDown Browser
- LockDown Browser: Using External Links and Files
- Using iPads with LockDown Browser
- Please be aware that LockDown is not enabled for iPads by default. In order to allow students to use an iPad with LockDown, you must select the 'Allow students to take this exam with an iPad' option when setting up a quiz.
- Online Learning Orientation: About the Respondus Lockdown Browser
Please consider incorporating the Respondus LockDown Browser for Students Canvas module in your courses.
Need additional help? Please register for an upcoming Respondus webinar.