What is Virtual Desktop Infrastructure?
Virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI) is a technology that refers to the use of virtual machines to provide and manage virtual desktops. VDI hosts desktop environments on a centralized server and deploys them to end-users on request.
Waubonsee currently has the capacity to accommodate up to 100 remote desktops users using VMware Horizon® software. This software will create a virtual desktop emulating a computer loaded with CAD software using a graphics card. When the user logs off, the virtual machine (and anything saved to the virtual Desktop) is deleted.
Waubonsee users have two ways to access a virtual desktop environment beginning at https://vdi.waubonsee.edu:
- Install the VMware Horizon® Client on a Waubonsee or personal computing device (PC, laptop, mobile) to work on a remote desktop from that local device.
- Use the VMware Horizon® HTML Access™ portal when the client device does not or cannot have Horizon Client software installed on its operating system. The user’s device will not require any software other than a supported Web browser. Note: The Horizon Client software offers more features and better performance.
Browser and System Requirements
Use Horizon® HTML Access™ v5.4 with one of the supported Web browsers (recommended versions) to access remote desktops or published applications:
|macOS||10.14.x (Mojave), 10.13.x (High Sierra|
|Windows||7 SP1 (32-bit and 64-bit), 8.x (32-bit and 64-bit), 10 (32-bit and 64-bit)|
Students may be able to access this website 48 hours after registration in a CAD course.
- Go to https://vdi.waubonsee.edu
- Choose VMware Horizon® HTML Access™ or choose Install VMware Horizon Client to open the VMware Horizon Client download page.
- Log in using your X-number and your network password.
- Choose CAD Workstation in the Desktop and Application Selector window to use a remote virtual desktop.
Note: Make sure to save files to the 'Documents' folder or network share drive through the virtual machine.
For additional information, please use this website and/or the following resources:
- Canvas course on VDI (for student, faculty use)
- VMware Horizon Client for Windows User Guide
- Working in a Remote Desktop or Published Application
- Job Aide (pdf version of website content)