Vaccine Status Update Information
- Quick Guide: Waubonsee's Compliance with COVID-19 Mandate (Quick Guide pdf, Updated Fall 2021)
- StatUS Prize Video (Updated Fall 2021)
- Status Update Flier (Updated Fall 2021)
- Update Your StatUS Video (Updated Fall 2021)
- Vaccine Mandate Image (Updated Fall 2021)
- Vaccine Mandate Image 2 (Updated Fall 2021)
- Vax Status - Sample Email to Students (Updated Fall 2021)
- Waubonsee's Step-by-Step Cleared4 Portal Instructions (Updated Fall 2021)
Fall 2021 Return to Campus
Campus Happenings are turn-key publications that can be provided to students. Included are the Things to Know newsletter, the Waubonsee Win, the current student tech resources flyer, and the Academic Support newsletter.
Prepping your Canvas courses - Tips and Tools
Enrich your course with these Library Tools;
- Guide - Canvas and the Library
- Add a Librarian to your course, embed Library subject guides, and add Library videos.
- The Online Library Resources and Services guide helps students connect with library resources and online research help.
- The "Library Research Tools" item on the Navigation menu in your Canvas course. The library resources listed here will appear embedded in the course window. You should already see the Library guide for your subject and a guide called "Help for the Library."
Encourage students to utilize the individual course notifications within Canvas. They can receive customized updates about new announcements, assignment submissions, inbox messages, and more. Find instructions on how to set them up here;
Get updates on assignment submissions, completed exams, and more.
- The Academic Support Resource course.
- This Canvas course houses everything Academic Support has to offer including how to get technical assistance and virtual support. Students can find help with software for class, general technical assistance, along with resources for canvas, zoom, and everything online learning.
- QuickPath Accelerated Degree Program: If you are not familiar with the program, it is a program that allows students to complete their associates degree in 12 -15 months. Students take between 23-25 credit hours in the fall and spring semester along with courses in the summer terms. Registration for Summer 2021 has begun. Applications are due March 5, 2021. For more information, please reach out to email@example.com
Be sure to check back to new updates throughout the semester!
Academic Support continues to provide virtual support resources into the Fall 2021 semester. Please be aware of the ongoing updates and resources geared to help you and your students navigate online courses and online components of each modality.
Please be aware of the technical resources available for students. View details HERE.
New - Kurzweil 3000
Kurzweil 3000 utilizes text-to-speech technology to aid students in their studies. The Read the Web browser extension allows students to easily have digital text read out loud, within Canvas or anywhere else on the Web. Quick access to dictionaries and translation tools is also available. If you would like to learn more, please contact Spencer Brayton
Virtual Tech Assistance
Student Tech Bootcamp - running through October 18 - November 6. Training sessions include:
- Canvas Crash Course
- Mastering Mywcc
- Zoom for Students
- Microsoft Office 365 for Students
- Learn to Learn Online - Time Management in Online Learning
Students are encouraged to register - share THIS FLYER to interested students.
For students taking exams using the Respondus LockDown Browser, we have a Canvas module to help guide students through the process.
Service Desk - students can request assistance with Adobe, Office 365, Google, etc, as well as additional Canvas Support. Instruction on how to navigate this resource can be found in the Service Desk Instruction for students.
Virtual Library Support
Stay in touch! Library staff continue to stay available to help students via LiveChat.
The Online Library Resources and Services guide helps students connect with library resources and online research help.
Zoom Reference Appointments with a Librarian – we offer 1:1 online reference appointments using Zoom. Students can visit Library reference appointments to schedule a time that works best for them.
Video instruction to guide students on how to get help with library research.
Check out the mymedia channel for videos on Canvas, Zoom, Online Learning Success and more!
Online Learning Navigators
- Are you interested in becoming an Online Learning Navigator? - Inquire here!
- Looking to include a Navigator in your online course? - Request here!
The spring semester is rapidly approaching and Academic Support has some news and updates to help you prepare.
What’s new this Spring?
Coming Soon - Books By Mail! Do you have students who are not able to make it to the library? They will soon be able to get books delivered to their home via the USPS. Stay tuned for updates on this exciting new service!
New! The Academic Support Resource course in Canvas houses everything Academic Support has to offer regarding technical assistance and virtual support. Students can find help with software for class, general technical assistance, along with resources for canvas, zoom, and everything online learning.
SmarterMeasure Waubonsee Community College students can assess their readiness for hybrid and online learning using the SmarterMeasure Assessment. They can gain feedback regarding strengths and weaknesses related to online learning.
Looking for some resources to add to your courses? Visit the collection of Library video tutorials and use this guide which includes instructions for embedding the videos into your Canvas courses.
Student X Cards
Students may schedule appointments to get their X cards printed through the end of January
SG Todd Library
Appointment slots will be available M-F, from 10:00am to 4:30pm
Appointment slots available Tuesday’s and Thursday’s from 10am to 4:30pm
Appointment slots available Monday’s and Thursday’s from 10am to 4:30pm
Transforming and Inspiring Undergraduate Men Pursuing Higher Education or TRIUMPH is a program which empowers males of color by providing increased academic, personal and professional support through mentoring and other services. If students are interested in joining this program, please have them reach out to Dr. Chassie Sherretz firstname.lastname@example.org
QuickPath Accelerated Degree Program: If you are not familiar with the program, it is a program that allows students to complete their associates degree in 12 -15 months. Students take between 23-25 credit hours in the fall and spring semester along with courses in the summer terms. Registration for Summer 2021 has begun. Applications are due February 1, 2021. For more information, please reach out to email@example.com
- Group Study Sessions for Final Exams are planned for select classes. If you are interested in the opportunity for your students next semester, let Cindy Bowman know!
- Students can explore the Learning Express Library from EBSCO. Practice tests, tutorials, and eBooks related to career certification and licensing exam preparation, college entrance and graduate school admissions exam preparation, GED exam preparation, and basic skills improvement in reading, writing, and math.
Do you have students who need an extra push through finals? Remind them of what is available from tutoring.
- Zoom appointments are available 7 days a week for your students. Have them reach out to www.waubonsee.edu/tutoring to set up a day and time that is convenient for them!
- If students need immediate academic assistance, LiveChat and Zoom drop-in are available Monday - Thursday from 9am -2pm. Details at www.waubonsee.edu/tutoring.
- Smarthinking is available 24/7. Students find this program in Canvas under the Account section in the left navigation menu.
- There will be two areas for students to use as study space for wi-fi and computer access:
- Student Center - Mon-Thurs 12:00- 4:00pm
- Henning Computing Center - Mon-Thurs 12:00-7:00pm
Do you have students who need to return Library materials or devices?
- Students can return their borrowed laptops, hotspots, and other devices between December 21 and 23 from 8am-4pm at the Sugar Grove campus. There will be a drive through drop off outside of the main entrance at Henning Academic Computing Center (HCC).
- Returning library materials: Return bins are located outside of Collins Hall at the Sugar Grove campus, and near the building entrances at Aurora Downtown, and Fox Valley Campuses.
Virtual Library support and additional technology resources remain available through the end of the semester. Find out more about how your students can get help from home.
1:1 Virtual TRIUMPH Informationals are available to male students of color who are looking for additional resources and support from Waubonsee. Please visit www.waubonsee.edu/TRIUMPH for more information.
(appointment or drop-in) with a coach on the tutoring website at www.waubonsee.edu/tutoring.
Feedback and Stats
- The Library has taught 12 instruction sessions for courses via Zoom this semester.
- Students are using the Introduction to Library Research guide heavily; it has been viewed 1,262 times this semester.
- Students are viewing library videos for assistance; the video tutorial for the database Academic Search Complete has been watched 214 times and newer videos like the "Library Website Tour" and "How to get Help Online" have over 50 views.
See what students have to say about our virtual tech programming!
The Library Technology Team will continue to provide virtual training and technology workshops for students. Take a peek at what is to come in the Spring, and remember you can always check the college calendar for upcoming offerings.
From the college archives…
Did you know?
Hybrid teaching is not new at Waubonsee. In the fall of 1988 Waubonsee launched the Telecommunications Instructional Consortium (TIC) which allowed instructors to teach to one or more remote sites while simultaneously lecturing face-to-face to a group of students.
For questions or comments about our college archive facts, please contact Christina Goings, College Archivist and Librarian, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Highlights from the Outcomes Advisory Council
ICCB is excited to announce the new version of the Illinois Postsecondary Profiles (IPP) has been released publicly. The IPP can be can be accessed at - http://illinoispostsecondaryprofiles.com/ . The IPP is a data transparency website initiative resulting from an intergovernmental agreement between ICCB, IBHE, and the Northern Illinois University (NIU) Interactive Report Card division. ISAC also joined the IPP effort in the last year. The first version of the IPP was released publicly in October 2019.
New in this release are two new paths into the data. These new data paths or “Profiles” are the Occupational and Regional Profiles. The Occupational Profiles facilitates easy exploration of Illinois higher education data through the selection of an area of study/program or occupation. The Regional Profiles provides a dynamic mapping feature for the user to easily select enrollment, completion, and census data points and analyze variability across the 39 community college districts in Illinois.
The IPP allows higher education agencies to meet P20 and legislative directives of providing education data in a more uniform and user-friendly manner. The tool is wide-reaching and can be utilized by a cross-section of interested parties (Higher Education officials, Prospective/Current Students and Parents, Researchers, High School Administration and Staff, Employers, Policymakers, Regional Collaborative, etc.). Student data and outcomes within the IPP derive from ICCB’s Centralized Data System.
In the new release, the Illinois Postsecondary Profiles will provide::
- More detailed information about patterns of enrollment, progress and completions for Illinois postsecondary institutions than many other public tools
- disaggregation beyond that of any of the IPEDS-dependent reporting tools
- a quick-to-use tool that combines system performance and ease of use with deeper data sets than are available in most institutional data reporting tools
- Occupational Profiles - rich, interactively accessible data linking those patterns of enrollment and completion to career exploration data in a way that is simple to access, navigate and understand.
- data are organized by career pathway, consistent with its broader use across Illinois
- Regional Profiles - user-customizable displays of data as a choropleth, where data are displayed as an overlay over a map of the state (community college districts are available at release, with other geographic boundaries to be added as available.)
- Downloadable data sets for all system data, making it a simple to utilize data in other types of software (on the IPP home page, scroll down and select ‘IPP Data Center’)
Also coming soon (summer 2021):
- Equity Profiles - supporting the exploration of postsecondary data in Illinois based on student demography
- Expanded geographical overlay options for the dynamic mapping tool (Regional Profiles)
The continuous feedback on the IPP from the community college system has been valued throughout the development of the new version. We look forward to further input as the IPP evolves.
FDAE Site Changelog
- OER Dashboard
- Expand OER page
- Spotlight page
- Randy Hines
- Recognition (badge/certificate recipients)
- Outcomes tool
- Web/form adaptation
- New lunar animal theme 🐅!
- Kaltura updates
- Using mymedia analytics
- 2022 Spring FDD page
- Publications and Presentations
- Example video
- Page level navigation
- Flex: Pedagogy page: added information about Google Jamboard.
- myapps page: added notes regarding AppsAnywhere/Cloudpaging
- myapps and site map pages: replaced "AppsAnywhere" and "MyApps" with "myapps" where appropriate/possible
- Flex: Delivering and Flex: Support pages: added images for control panel
- Zoom page: added co-host instructions
- MyMaterials page
- 2021 Fall Ally data page
- Update to Flex: Scheduling: adjusted advanced settings instructions/image
- Text changes to Canvas and Flex pages
- Removed Proctorio page from menu
- Updated Respondus page
- Updated sitemap to include new Publications and Presentations page
- Text updates on Flex pages, updated Flex overview slideshow
- Update to Flex: Introduction: adjusted Flex formula
- Update to ION page to include new promotional video and group code clarifications
- Update to Flex: Pedagogy page: added info about Zoom's whiteboard feature
- Update to Flex: Introduction: included link to WCC's Online and Flexible Learning page
- Update to Flex: Pedagogy page: included additional techniques to facilitate online engagement through Student-Content interaction; updated information pertaining to Course Management, attendance, and participation
- Update to Flex: Scheduling page: adjusted instructions for scheduling a Flex room through Outlook and Canvas
- Update to Flex: Delivering page: added info about host/co-host privileges to Crestron Control Panel
- Update to Flex: Support page: added info about host/co-host privileges to Crestron Control Panel
- Update to Flex: Scheduling page: adjusted instructions for scheduling a Flex room
- Updated example table on Hybrid page
- Updated ACUE logos
- Update to Flex: Support page: removed instructions for adjusting the volume in a Flex room with manual controls
- Updated mywcc portlet links to resource links
- Updated Quality Matters page content
- Added website, email info to QM rockstars
- Updated ACUE content
- Added website, email info to ACUE cohort rockstars
- Updated Quality Matters page content
- Body text
- QM rockstars
- Updated ACUE content
- Added ACUE cohort rockstars
- New QM FAQs content
- New Assessment Bootcamp page
- Update to Flex: Support page: added instructions for adjusting the volume in a Flex room
- Update to Inclusive Teaching Excellence page: added Fall 2021 Teaching Excellence Series playlist, 09/28 video
- Update to News and Updates page: added COVID Vaccine Status Update Information
- Update to Canvas page: added step-by-step instructions for embedding a video with an embed code
- Updated About page
- M&C site updates
- New 'To-Top' scroller
- Automatically generated navigation/table of contents (Google Gadget)
- Increased contrast on page titles
- Update to Flex pages: migrated and supplemented all content from Flex Canvas shell into Flex pages. Reorganized as needed. See mini site map on Flex: Support page for comprehensive listing of pages.
- Update to Navigators page: added interest form for Navigators along with contact information
- Update to Kaltura and Zoom page: merged instructions to adjust default view in mymedia recordings with instructions on sharing/embedding content
- Updated Guidelines for Assigning Graduate Course Equivalency Credits page with assigned GCECs and minor text changes
- Update to Kaltura and Zoom page: included information about the integration of Zoom and Kaltura. Zoom page has actual content, and Kaltura page has link to Zoom page.
- Update to Kaltura page: updated information how to Change Default View on Zoom and MyMedia Videos and included additional information on Kaltura Video Analytics
- Update to Canvas page: added instructions for scheduling a Zoom meeting and Accessibility Checker
- Added new method for routing videos through mywcc to enforce password and role restrictions
- New video link on News and Events page
- Removed Faculty Form: Flex Content
- Reorganized content on News and Events page
- Updates to MyApps page, updated images throughout page
- Updates to Navigators page, updated images for adding navigator
- New alternating block menu structure on homepage
- Link to sitemap on homepage
- Added emojis in instances where the emoji existed in the page title but not on the corresponding link(s)
- Global Education
- News and Updates
- Added individual FDD links to alternating blocks on FDD page
- Updates to VDI page, updated images throughout page
- Updates to Canvas page, updated images under Enable Menu Items
- Updates to Zoom page, updated images under closed captioning instructions
- Updates to Ally page, updated list of alternative formats and added button for 2021 Spring data
- Creation of Ally 2021 Spring Data page with updated statistics and information
- Updates to Flex page, embedded new video, embedded faculty forum form, and added faculty forum content
- Updates to ACUE page, updated form
- Updates to Inclusive Teaching Excellence page, embedded new 2021 Fall video, new ACUE promo video
Updates to 2021 Fall - Resources, Connections, and Relationships page, added current conference information
- Created 2021 Fall - Resources, Connections, and Relationships page with information and form pertaining to Virtual Resource Fair (added to menu and sitemap as well)
- Added student instructions for Kaltura MyMedia projects on Kaltura page
- Added links to Navigator page
- Added Navigators block to Engagement page
- Updated links and text on Engagement page
- Changed from Top Search CTAs to HR divided items
- Hid social footer block
- Added 2021 Spring - Science of Learning Series playlist and videos to Inclusive Teaching Excellence page
- Removed Menu CTAs:
- Find a Course
- Employee Directory
- Added Menu CTA:
- News and Updates
- Added Top Searches
- Updated menu icons
- Corrected links on Faculty Development Days page
- Created changelog for tracking site updates
- Removed the following pages and corresponding links/navigation blocks:
- Professional Development
- Co-Curricular Assessment
- Diversity in the Classroom
- Culturally Responsive Curriculum
- Professional Development
- Moved the following pages to Development:
- Inclusive Teaching Excellence
- Student Evaluation of Instruction
- Guidelines for Assigning Graduate Course Equivalency Credits (GCEC)